Great Ocean Walk
Cape Otway to Aire River West Campground
This section of trail is one of the best along the whole Great Ocean Walk. Leaving Cape Otway you’ll soon pass the official GOW hikers campground and also the Lightstation cemetery which provides an insight into life here in the early 19th century. The trail leads you through dense coastal beard-heath but after approx. 2km the trail opens up to the clifftops it’s here where for the first time you really see the erosion amongst the cliffs and start to understand the power of the southern ocean. The epic views continue along this section the whole way to Aire River and as you arrive at Station Beach walkers have the choice of walking along the sand or taking the inland route which runs inland but parallel. Given how soft the sand is along Station Beach I’d highly recommend taking the inland route. Once you near Aire River, there is a small lookout which is easily bypassed but if you walk through the scrub, you’ll arrive at an awesome view over Aire River and back along towards the Aire River bridge and campground. The last 1km down towards the bridge is very soft and sandy so walkers are generally pretty happy to be finished at camp here.
Explore more of the Great Ocean Walk
Stage 1 – Apollo Bay to Elliot Ridge
Stage 2 – Elliot Ridge to Blanket Bay
Stage 3 – Blanket Bay to Cape Otway
Stage 4 – Cape Otway to Aire River
Stage 5 – Aire River to Johanna Beach
Stage 6 – Johanna Beach to Ryans Den
Stage 7 – Ryans Den to Devils Kitchen
Stage 8 – Devils Kitchen to Princetown
Stage 9 – Princetown to 12 Apostles
CHOOSE GOOD TIMES TOURS FOR YOUR GREAT OCEAN WALK EXPERIENCE
- Jono Ingram from Good Times Tours is Melbourne based so can provide return transport for public & private groups.
- I setup camp and cook for you. You simply walk with your day pack.
- We provide high quality tents, thermarest sleeping pads, pillows, down sleeping bags, camp chairs and a 6x3m waterproof marquee as camping equipment for all of our guests.
- I offer an an affordable option for groups up to 11 in size, looking for a no-fuss and flexible experience.
- I can cater for groups looking to spend anywhere between 2-4 days on the Great Ocean Walk.
Follow our Adventures
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us on any of the platforms below.
Jono Ingram – 0410 341 228 or @jonoingram