Great Ocean Walk
Blanket Bay to Cape Otway Lightstation
This section of trail is where I start my 2/3 day Great Ocean Walk tours from as it’s all dedicated purpose built hiking trail from Blanket Bay to Johanna Beach 35km’s later. The initial trail from Blanket Bay heads through coastal forest before descending down into the stunning Parker Inlet. At Parker Inlet hikers may have to take their shoes off and walk through a shallow tidal creek that’s usually only 2-3 metres wide. You’ll also have an opportunity to walk the coastal route along exposed rock shelves and beaches to Point Franklin or you can take the inland route which features a long staircase climb out of Parker Inlet up towards where the official GOW campground is at Parker Hill.
Whether hikers take the inland or ocean route, this section of the trail is really exposed to the elements with no shade on offer so it’s important you take regular breaks and keep your fluids up. In terms of difficulty it’s all pretty easy really and a highlight of this section is walking along the coastal route from Seal Point to Crayfish Bay with Cape Otway Lightstation in the distance. If you have time, I highly recommend taking a rest or enjoying a swim at Crayfish Bay as it has to be one of the most gorgeous beaches in Victoria. Once you arrive at Cape Otway Lightstation you can enter the grounds however it’s currently an $18 entrance fee for adults.
Imagery from Blanket Bay to Cape Otway
Explore more of the Great Ocean Walk
Stage 1 – Apollo Bay to Elliot Ridge
Stage 2 – Elliot Ridge to Blanket Bay
Stage 3 – Blanket Bay to Cape Otway
Stage 4 – Cape Otway to Aire River
Stage 5 – Aire River to Johanna Beach
Stage 6 – Johanna Beach to Ryans Den
Stage 7 – Ryans Den to Devils Kitchen
Stage 8 – Devils Kitchen to Princetown
Stage 9 – Princetown to 12 Apostles
CHOOSE GOOD TIMES TOURS FOR YOUR GREAT OCEAN WALK EXPERIENCE
- Jono Ingram from Good Times Tours is Melbourne based so can provide return transport for public & private groups.
- I setup camp and cook for you. You simply walk with your day pack.
- We provide high quality tents, thermarest sleeping pads, pillows, down sleeping bags, camp chairs and a 6x3m waterproof marquee as camping equipment for all of our guests.
- I offer an an affordable option for groups up to 11 in size, looking for a no-fuss and flexible experience.
- I can cater for groups looking to spend anywhere between 2-4 days on the Great Ocean Walk.
Follow our Adventures
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us on any of the platforms below.
Jono Ingram – 0410 341 228 or @jonoingram