Great Ocean Walk Tour
Enjoy the best 34km of the GOW packfree!
Tour Overview –
Good Times Tours is offering guests the chance to hike 34km over 2 days on the Great Ocean Walk. For this hike we’ll be starting at Blanket Bay on the Saturday and walking 21kms to Aire River West campground and on the Sunday we’ll hike 14kms to Johanna Beach. This section of the hike is my absolute favourite because of the diversity on offer (see image gallery below).
- Next public tour will be in September or October 2019, however private groups can enquire by calling Jono Ingram on 0410341228 or email email@example.com
Russell Street Extension directly behind Federation Square at 8:30am. Please note it’s approximately 200m from Flinders Street Station.
Melbourne @ 7pm Sunday evening (drop-off address is the same as pickup)
Minimum Group Size – 6
Maximum Group Size – 10
Camping Equipment –
Tents, Thermarest sleeping mats, Kathmandu down sleeping bags & inflatable pillows along with camp chairs are provided. We camp at Aire River West campground which is one of the most beautiful spots in Victoria and allows fires as well!
All tours include a BBQ dinner and cereals/fruit for breakfast. Fruit will also be provided along with muesli bars for your daypacks whilst walking. For lunch we will stop at Apollo Bay on the way to Blanket Bay and on the return to Melbourne. The van does have a fridge on board so feel free to bring any extra snacks.
The Vehicle – Good Times Tours has a comfortable 12 seater Toyota Hiace Van with a fridge/freezer on board, plus an ipad with spotify for tunes. There is also a fully equipped first aid kit and a trailer will be used for all luggage.
Price – $220
Enquiries – Call Jono Ingram on 0410 341 228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring –
- Day pack for walking
- Overnight bag with clothes for 2 days
- Water bottle (water is provided over both days)
- Toiletries & baby wipes (no showers)
- Waterproof jacket
- Headtorch (if you have one)
- Good walking shoes
- Sense of adventure
CAPE OTWAY LIGHTHOUSE
CAMPING AT AIRE RIVER
See below for a more detailed outline of the weekend
GREAT OCEAN WALK ITINERARY
Day 1 – Blanket Bay to Aire River – 21km’s
– Departing Melbourne at 8:30am on Saturday we arrive at Blanket Bay at midday.
– From Blanket Bay it’s a relatively easy walk through dense gum forest that opens up to provide spectacular views of the ocean before descending to the serene Parker Inlet which makes the perfect place for lunch and chances are you’ll have the entire inlet to yourself.
– Depending on the tide and how adventurous you are feeling, there’s an opportunity to either walk the waters edge following rock shelves around Point Franklin or take the short steep climb out of the inlet. Once up on the cliff line it’s a slow descent down to Crayfish Bay where there’s a new section of trail that hugs the coastline to Cape Otway Lightstation.
– Upon arrival at Cape Otway Lightstation, guests will have a chance to refill their water bottles and access their bags as the van will be there. We’ll rest here for approx. 20 minutes before tackling the last section of the hike.
– The trail from Cape Otway takes you through dense scrub before opening up to awesome cliff top views of the Southern Ocean and eventually you’ll find yourself in awe of the stunning Station Beach. Depending on how you are going for time you have the option of walking along the beach or taking the inland route which runs parallel to the beach.
– Not long after Station beach you’ll find yourself seeing the raw natural beauty of Glenaire Beach from the Escarpment Lookout. From here it’s a 1.5km descent down a sandy trail to the Aire River campsite. If you choose the camping option, your tent and camp chair will be waiting for you along with a camp fire and a cold drink. If you choose the accommodation option the van will be waiting for your arrival.
Day 2 – Aire River to Johanna Beach – 14km’s
– You’ll depart Aire River campground at approx. 8:30am and walk slowly uphill, taking time to stop and enjoy the views over Aire River. The trail then follows the cliff tops with numerous vantage points to take in the spectacular views over the southern ocean.
– At 10:30am we’ll arrive at our halfway point for the day which is Castle Cove. The trail runs parallel to the Great Ocean Road here and is a great place to take a short rest and have a quick bite to eat.
– From Castle Cove we depart on the final 7km’s of the walk with the trail winding it’s way along the coast which provides an amazing view looking back at Castle Cove & Aire River before heading inland through more dense forest.
– After a short while, the trail opens up to provide views of Johanna Beach your final destination. From here, the trail slowly descends down to the beach.
– The last 2km of the hike is along Johanna Beach with an arrival time of 1pm at the Johanna Beach car park. From here you’ll be picked up and we’ll head to Apollo Bay for lunch before driving back to Melbourne.
WHAT YOU’LL EXPERIENCE
Follow the Good Times!
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us on any of the platforms below.
Jono Ingram – 0410 341 228 or @jonoingram